Thursday, March 1, 2012

This is a blog about my recovery from OCD. I thought it might help for me to start of with some basic details about my condition, and how it has changed in the last month.

2009 - 2012
I was diagnosed with OCD in the spring of 2009. At that point the condition was very mild, and my rituals (physical things I do to reduce my anxiety) were not very intrusive in my life. I was put on a low dose of an SSRI (Lexapro) to manage the condition, and began work on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT is a type of therapy where patients gradually exposes themselves to anxiety-provoking scenarios. I was successful with the CBT and the medication. Though I had a few ups and downs, overall, I was improving steadily with my OCD recovery.

2012 - 
According to my doctors, OCD naturally waxes and wanes. This past January I had a series of panic attacks and experienced a sharp increase in my OCD symptoms. Basically, my anxiety and rituals both increased a lot. In order to manage my anxiety in the short term, I've been put on a heavier, temporary anti-anxiety medication (Ativan). My doctor wanted to see if my anxiety would stabilize and return to normal levels on its own. We waited for two weeks, and my anxiety levels had not improved. Therefore, my doctor decided I needed to be on a different medication, and on a much higher dose. So, about a week ago, I switched medications, and increased the amount I was taking. 

Details about my OCD
Rituals: OCD is a condition where an individual experiences distressing thoughts (obsessions) and tries to use rituals or physical acts (compulsions) in order to mitigate their anxiety. Right now, my rituals take up most of my evenings. I'm working on minimizing, little by little, the rituals that I perform. 

Medication: Right now I'm on two medications, a temporary anti-anxiety medication (that I mentioned above) and a long-term SSRI (Sertraline). The SSRI will take some time to kick in, so right now I'm waiting to start feeling the full effects of the medication. I have a meeting with my doctor next week to talk about reducing the temporary medication, and increasing my SSRI dosage. 

Complications: Adjusting to the new medication is a little tricky, and my body has been doing some wonky things during the transition period. I've been experiencing on-and-off nausea, intermittent crying jags, and some nocturnal myoclonic jerking. According to the doctor, these side-effects should wear off as I adjust to the medication. 

Prognosis: My counselor (psychologist), who specializes in anxiety-related disorders, has been having me do little pieces of "homework" every day. Basically, I try to do one thing each day that makes me anxious, such as breaking a small piece of a ritual. My doctor (psychiatrist) says that my ability to do this homework is a very good sign - most people going through medicine transitions aren't even able to do that.  So, it's very positive for my recovery that I'm able to tolerate the anxiety of working against my OCD, if only in small pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Blogging is such a great idea. I dunno if it's the same for you, but something about communicating what I'm doing always calms me a little bit.

    Also, I think it's amazing, like your doc said, that you're up to doing homework right now, what with everything that's happening. You are handling this thing as well as anybody could conceivably be expected to!

    I can't wait to see you soon! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much Manda! You're so sweet. It means so much to have loving, encouraging friends!!! <3

      Delete