Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fun Home(work)

I met with Dr. M again today for my second-ever visit with AustinOCD. We talked about my progress last week, which consisted of just "poking" at little rituals and habits that I have. He said I'm in great shape and am going at a good recovery pace. That was nice to hear because it's kind of hard to tell if I'm taking on enough. Most notably, I made it out of the house 'til 4:15 (yay!) and ate some foods that are "off limits."

I've officially discontinued the Ativan - big relief! No more medication adjustments for a while.

My homework for this week  involves two things:
  • Keep "poking" at my rituals and habits (but don't try to take on too much right now).
  • Find ways to be purposefully imperfect. Dr. M said that OCD tends to make you want to do things perfectly, and that going out of my way to make errors, mistakes, and slip-ups will help my recovery. He suggested things like: including typos in emails, not doing all of my makeup, or leaving out dirty dishes. 

Also, I learned that Dr. M is familiar with Alison Bechdel, one of my favorite authors. I mentioned her book Fun Home in our meeting today, and he said the name was familiar to him. Apparently, he's read her comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For. Exciting!

3 comments:

  1. T - I'm so glad I now know what that emoticon means. Thank you for my continuing interwebz education. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like things are going well--good for you!

    I definitely tried to take on too much at once--I wanted it all to fixed right now. Too overwhelming and not too productive for me, though. I'm glad your doc is urging you not to do too much too soon.

    Keep up the good work! :-)

    ReplyDelete